Sacred Texts Index  Northern European Index  Heimskringla Index  Previous  Next 

 Sigurd died A.D. 1155, Eystein 1157, and Inge 1161.
 Other literature is "Morkinskinna" and "Fagrskinna."
 Sigurd Slembe is the subject of a drama by Bjornstjerne Bjornson,
 translated into English by William Morton Payne, and published by
 Houghton, Mifflin & Co., Boston, 1888.
 Skalds quoted are: Kolle, Einar Skulason, and Thorbjorn
 Queen Ingerid, and with her the lendermen and the court which had
 been with King Harald, resolved to send a fast-sailing vessel to
 Throndhjem to make known King Harald's death, and also to desire
 the Throndhjem people to take King Harald's son Sigurd for king.
 He was then in the north, and was fostered by Sadagyrd Bardson.
 Queen Ingerid herself proceeded eastward immediately to Viken.
 Inge was the name of her son by King Harald, and he was then
 fostered by Amunde Gyrdson, a grandson of Logberse.  When they
 came to Viken a Borgar-thing was immediately called together, at
 which Inge, who was in the second year of his age, was chosen
 king.  This resolution was supported by Amunde and Thjostolf
 Alason, together with many other great chiefs.  Now when the
 tidings came north to Throndhjem that King Harald was murdered,
 the Throndhjem people took Sigurd, King Harald's son, to be the
 king; and this resolution was supported by Ottar Birting, Peter
 Saudaulfson, the brothers Guthorm of Reine, and Ottar Balle, sons
 of Asolf and many other great chiefs.  Afterwards the whole
 nation almost submitted to the brothers, and principally because
 their father was considered holy; and the country took the oath
 to them, that the kingly power should not go to any other man as
 long as any of King Harald's sons were alive.
 Sigurd Slembe sailed north around Stad; and when he came to North
 More, he found that letters and full powers had arrived before
 him from the leaders who had given in their allegiance to
 Harald's sons; so that there he got no welcome or help.  As
 Sigurd himself had but few people with him, he resolved to go
 with them to Throndhjem, and seek out Magnus the Blind; for he
 had already sent a message before him to Magnus's friends.  Now
 when they came to the town, they rowed up the river Nid to meet
 King Magnus, and fastened their land-ropes on the shore at the
 king's house; but were obliged to set off immediately, for all
 the people rose against them.  They then landed at Monkholm, and
 took Magnus the Blind out of the cloister against the will of the
 monks; for he had been consecrated a monk.  It is said by some
 that Magnus willingly went with them; although it was differently
 reported, in order to make his cause appear better.  Sigurd,
 immediately after Yule (January, A.D. 1137), went forth with his
 suite, expecting aid from his relations and Magnus's friends, and
 which they also got.  Sigurd sailed with his men out of the
 fjord, and was joined afterwards by Bjorn Egilson, Gunnar of
 Gimsar, Haldor Sigurdson, Aslak Hakonson, the brothers Bendikt
 and Eirik, and also the court which had before been with King
 Magnus, and many others.  With this troop they went south to
 More, and down to the mouth of Raumsdal fjord.  Here Sigurd and
 Magnus divided their forces, and Sigurd went immediately
 westwards across the sea.  King Magnus again proceeded to the
 Uplands, where he expected much help and strength, and which he
 obtained.  He remained there the winter and all the summer (A.D.
 1137), and had many people with him; but King Inge proceeded
 against him with all his forces, and they met at a place called
 Mynne.  There was a great battle, at which King Magnus had the
 most people.  It is related that Thjostolf Alason carried King
 Inge in his belt as long as the battle lasted, and stood under
 the banner; but Thjostolf was hard pressed by fatigue and
 fighting; and it is commonly said that King Inge got his ill
 health there, and which he retained as long as he lived, so that
 his back was knotted into a hump, and the one foot was shorter
 than the other; and he was besides so infirm that he could
 scarcely walk as long as he lived.  The defeat began to turn upon
 Magnus and his men; and in the front rank of his array fell
 Haldor Sigurdson, Bjorn Egilson, Gunnar of Gimsar, and a great
 number of his men, before he himself would take to his horse and
 fly. So says Kolle: --
      "Thy arrow-storm on Mynne's banks
      Fast thinn'd the foemen's strongest ranks;
      Thy good sword hewed the raven's feast
      On Mynne's banks up in the East.
      Shield clashed on shield, and bucklers broke
      Under thy battle-axe's stroke;
      While thou, uncovered, urged the fray,
      Thy shield and mail-coat thrown away."
 And also this: --
      "The king to heaven belonging fled,
      When thou, in war's quick death-game bred,
      Unpanzered, shieldless on the plain
      His heavy steel-clad guards hadst slain.
      The painted shield, and steel-plate mail,
      Before thy fierce attack soon fail,
      To Magnus who belongs to heaven,
      Was no such fame in battle given."
 Magnus fled eastward to Gautland, and then to Denmark.  At that
 time there was in Gautland an earl, Karl Sonason, who was a great
 and ambitious man.  Magnus the Blind and his men said, wherever
 they happened to meet with chiefs, that Norway lay quite open to
 any great chieftain who would attack it; for it might well be
 said there was no king in the country, and the kingdom was only
 ruled by lendermen, and, among those who had most sway, there
 was, from mutual jealousy, most discord.  Now Karl, being
 ambitious of power, listens willingly to such speeches; collects
 men, and rides west to Viken, where many people, out of fear,
 submit to him.  When Thjostolf Alason and Amunde heard of this,
 they went with the men they could get together, and took King
 Inge with them.  They met Earl Karl and the Gautland army
 eastward in Krokaskog, where there was a great battle and a great
 defeat, King Inge gaining the victory.  Munan Ogmundson, Earl
 Karl's mother's brother, fell there.  Ogmund, the father of
 Munan, was a son of Earl Orm Eilifson, and Sigrid, a daughter of
 Earl Fin Arnason.  Astrid, Ogrnund's daughter, was the mother of
 Earl Karl.  Many others of the Gautland people fell at Krokaskog;
 and the earl fled eastward through the forest.  King Inge pursued
 them all the way out of the kingdom; and this expedition turned
 out a great disgrace to them.  So says Kolle: --
      "I must proclaim how our great lord
      Coloured deep red his ice-cold sword;
      And ravens played with Gautland bones,
      And wolves heard Gautlanders' last groans.
      Their silly jests were well repaid, --
      In Krokaskog their laugh was laid:
      Thy battle power was then well tried,
      And they who won may now deride."
 Magnus the Blind then went to Denmark to King Eirik Eimune, where
 he was well received.  He offered the king to follow him if he
 would invade Norway with a Danish army, and subdue the country;
 saying, that if he came to Norway with his army, no man in Norway
 would venture to throw a spear against him.  The king allowed
 himself to be moved by Magnus's persuasions, ordered a levy, and
 went north to Norway with 200 ships; and Magnus and his men were
 with him on this expedition.  When they came to Viken, they
 proceeded peacefully and gently on the east side of the fjord;
 but when the fleet came westward to Tunsberg, a great number of
 King Inge's lendermen came against them.  Their leader was
 Vatnorm Dagson, a brother of Gregorius.  The Danes could not land
 to get water without many of them being killed; and therefore
 they went in through the fjord to Oslo, where Thjostolf Alason
 opposed them.  It is told that some people wanted to carry the
 holy Halvard's coffin out of the town in the evening when the
 fleet was first observed, and as many as could took hold of it;
 but the coffin became so heavy that they could not carry it over
 the church floor.  The morning after, however, when they saw the
 fleet sailing in past the Hofud Isle, four men carried the coffin
 out of the town, and Thjostolf and all the townspeople followed
 King Eirik and his army advanced against the town; and some of
 his men hastened after Thjostolf and his troop.  Thjostolf threw
 a spear at a man named Askel, which hit him under the throat, so
 that the spear point went through his neck; and Thjostolf thought
 he had never made a better spear-cast, for, except the place he
 hit, there was nothing bare to be seen.  The shrine of St.
 Halvard, was taken up to Raumarike, where it remained for three
 months.  Thjostolf went up to Raumarike, and collected men during
 the night, with whom he returned towards the town in the morning.
 In the meantime King Eirik set fire to Halvard's church, and to
 the town, which was entirely burnt.  Thjostolf came soon after to
 the town with the men he had assembled, and Eirik sailed off with
 his fleet; but could not land anywhere on that side of the fjord,
 on account of the troops of the lendermen who came down against
 them; and wherever they attempted a landing, they left five or
 six men or more upon the strand.  King Inge lay with a great
 number of people into Hornborusund, but when he learned this, he
 turned about southwards to Denmark again.  King Inge pursued him,
 and took from him all the ships he could get hold of; and it was
 a common observation among people, that never was so poor an
 expedition made with so great an armament in another king's
 dominions.  King Eirik was ill pleased at it, and thought King
 Magnus and his men had been making a fool of him by encouraging
 him to undertake this expedition, and he declared he would never
 again besuch friends with them as before.
 Sigurd Slembidjakn came that summer from the West sea to Norway,
 where he heard of his relation King Magnus's unlucky expedition;
 so he expected no welcome in Norway, but sailed south, outside
 the rocks, past the land, and set over to Denmark, and went into
 the Sound.  He fell in with some Vindland cutters south of the
 islands, gave them battle, and gained the victory.  He cleared
 eight ships, killing many of the men, and he hanged the others. 
 He also had a battle off the Island Mon with the Vindland men,
 and gained a victory.  He then sailed from the south and came to
 the eastern arm of the Gaut river, and took three ships of the
 fleet of Thorer Hvinantorde, and Olaf, the son of Harald Kesia,
 who was Sigurd's own sister's son; for Ragnhild, the mother of
 Olaf, was a daughter of King Magnus Barefoot.  He drove Olaf up
 the country.
 Thjostolf was at this time in Konungahella, and had collected
 people to defend the country, and Sigurd steered thither with his
 fleet.  They shot at each other, but he could not effect a
 landing; and, on both sides, many were killed and many wounded.
 Ulfhedin Saxolfson, Sigurd's forecastle man, fell there.  He was
 an Icelander, from the north quarter.  Sigurd continued his
 course northwards to Viken and plundered far and wide around. 
 Now when Sigurd lay in a harbour called Portyrja on Limgard's
 coast, and watched the ships going to or coming from Viken to
 plunder them, the Tunsberg men collected an armed force against
 him, and came unexpectedly upon them while Sigurd and his men
 were on shore dividing their booty.  Some of the men came down
 from the land, but some of the other party laid themselves with
 their ships right across the harbour outside of them.  Sigurd ran
 up into his ship, and rowed out against them.  Vatnorm's ship was
 the nearest, and he let his ship fall behind the line, and Sigurd
 rowed clear past, and thus escaped with one ship and the loss of
 many men.  This verse was made upon Vatnorm (1): --
      "The water serpent, people say,
      From Portyrja slipped away."
 (1)  Vatnorm, the name of this man, means the water-serpent, and
      appears to have been a favourite name for war-ships also;
      hence the pun in the lines upon Vatnorm. -- L.
 Sigurd Slembidjakn sailed from thence to Denmark; and at that
 time a man was lost in his ship, whose name was Kolbein
 Thorliotson of Batald.  He was sitting in a boat which was made
 fast to the vessel, and upset because she was sailing quickly.
 When they came south to Denmark, Sigurd's ship itself was cast
 away; but he got to Alaborg, and was there in winter.  The summer
 after (A.D. 1138) Magnus and Sigurd sailed together from the
 south with seven ships, and came unexpectedly in the night to
 Lister, where they laid their ships on the land.  Beintein
 Kolbeinson, a court-man of King Inge, and a very brave man, was
 there.  Sigurd and his men jumped on shore at daylight, came
 unexpectedly on the people, surrounded the house, and were
 setting fire to the buildings; but Beintein came out of a store-
 house with his weapons, well armed, and stood within the door
 with drawn sword, his shield before him, helmet on, and ready to
 defend himself.  The door was somewhat low.  Sigurd asked which
 of his lads had most desire to go in against Beintein, which he
 called brave man's work; but none was very hurried to make ready
 for it.  While they were discussing this matter Sigurd rushed
 into the house, past Beintein.  Beintein struck at him, but
 missed him. Sigurd turned instantly on Beintein; and after
 exchanging blows, Sigurd gave him his death-stroke, and came out
 presently bearing his head in his hands.
 They took all the goods that were in the farm-house, carried the
 booty to their ships, and sailed away.  When King Inge and his
 friends, and also Kolbein's sons, Sigurd and Gyrd, the brothers
 of Beintein, heard of Beintein's murder, the king sent a great
 force against Sigurd Slembe and his followers; and also travelled
 himself, and took a ship from Hakon Paulson Pungelta, who was a
 daughter's son of Aslak, a son of Erling Skjalgson of Sole, and
 cousin of Hakon Mage.  King Inge drove Hakon and his followers up
 the country, and took all their gear.  Sigurd Stork, a son of
 Eindride of Gautdal, and his brother, Eirik Hael, and Andres
 Kelduskit, son of Grim of Vist, all fled away into the fjords.
 But Sigurd Slembe, Magnus the Blind and Thorieif Skiappa sailed
 outside the isles with three ships north to Halogaland; and
 Magnus was in winter (A.D. 1139) north in Bjarkey Isle with
 Vidkun Jonson.  But Sigurd had the stem and stern-post of his
 ship cut out, made a hole in her, and sank her in the inner part
 of Egisfjord, and thereafter he passed the winter at Tialdasund
 by Gljufrafjord in Hin.  Far up the fjord there is a cave in the
 rock; in that place Sigurd sat with his followers, who were above
 twenty men, secretly, and hung a grey cloth before the mouth of
 the hole, so that no person could see them from the strand. 
 Thorleif Skiappa, and Einar, son of Ogmund of Sand, and of
 Gudrun, daughter of Einar Arason of Reikiaholar, procured food
 for Sigurd during the winter.  It is said that Sigurd made the
 Laplanders construct two boats for him during the winter up in
 the fjord; and they were fastened together with deer sinews,
 without nails, and with twigs of willow instead of knees, and
 each boat could carry twelve men.  Sigurd was with the Laplanders
 while they were making the boats; and the Laplanders had good
 ale, with which they entertained Sigurd.  Sigurd made these lines
 on it: --
           "In the Lapland tent
           Brave days we spent.
      Under the grey birch tree;
           In bed or on bank
           We knew no rank,
      And a merry crew were we.
           "Good ale went round
           As we sat on the ground,
      Under the grey birch tree;
           And up with the smoke
           Flew laugh and joke,
      And a merry crew were we."
 These boats were so light that no ship could overtake them in the
 water, according to what was sung at the time: --
      "Our skin-sewed Fin-boats lightly swim,
      Over the sea like wind they skim.
      Our ships are built without a nail;
      Few ships like ours can row or sail."
 In spring Sigurd and Magnus went south along the coast with the
 two boats which the Laplanders had made; and when they came to
 Vagar they killed Svein the priest and his two sons.
 Thereafter Sigurd came south to Vikar, and seized King Sigurd's
 lendermen, William Skinnare and Thorald Kept, and killed them
 both.  Then Sigurd turned south-wards along the coast, and met
 Styrkar Glaesirofa south of Byrda, as he was coming from the
 south from the town of Nidaros, and killed him.  Now when Sigurd
 came south to Valsnes, he met Svinagrim outside of the ness, and
 cut off his right hand.  From thence he went south to More, past
 the mouth of the Throndhjem fjord, where they took Hedin Hirdmage
 and Kalf Kringluauge.  They let Hedin escape, but killed Kalf.
 When King Sigurd, and his foster-father, Sadagyrd, heard of
 Sigurd Slembidjakn's proceedings, and what he was doing, they
 sent people to search for him; and their leader was Jon Kauda, a
 son of Kalf Range.  Bishop Ivar's brother, and besides the priest
 Jon Smyril.  They went on board the ship the Reindeer, which had
 twenty-two rowing benches, and was one of the swiftest sailing
 vessels, to seek Sigurd; but as they could not find him, they
 returned north-wards with little glory; for people said that they
 had got sight of Sigurd and his people, and durst not attack
 them.  Afterwards Sigurd proceeded southwards to Hordaland, and
 came to Herdla, where Einar, a son of Laxapaul, had a farm; and
 went into Hamar's fjord, to the Gangdaga-thing.  They took all
 the goods that were at the farm, and a long-ship of twenty-two
 benches which belonged to Einar; and also his son, four years
 old, who was living with one of his labouring people.  Some
 wanted to kill the boy, but others took him and carried him with
 them.  The labouring man said, "It will not be lucky for you to
 kill the child; and it will be of no use to you to carry him
 away, for it is my son, and not Einar's."  And on his word they
 let the boy remain, and went away.  When Einar came home he gave
 the labourer money to the value of two ore of gold, and thanked
 him for his clever invention, and promised him his constant
 friendship.  So says Eirik Odson, who first wrote down this
 relation; and he heard himself Einar Paulson telling these
 circumstances in Bergen.  Sigurd then went southward along the
 coast all the way east to Viken, and met Fin Saudaulfson east at
 Kvildar, as he was engaged in drawing in King Inge's rents and
 duties, and hanged him.  Then they sailed south to Denmark.
 The people of Viken and of Bergen complained that it was wrong
 for King Sigurd and his friends to be sitting quietly north in
 the town of Nidaros, while his father's murderer was cruising
 about in the ordinary passage at the mouth of the Throndhjem
 fjord; and King Inge and his people, on the other hand, were in
 Viken in the midst of the danger, defending the country and
 holding many battles.  Then King Inge sent a letter north to the
 merchant-town Nidaros, in which were these words: "King Inge
 Haraldson sends his brother King Sigurd, as also Sadagyrd, Ogmund
 Svipte, Ottar Birting, and all lendermen, court-men, house-
 people, and all the public, rich and poor, young and old, his own
 and God's salutation.  The misfortune is known to all men that on
 account of our childhoods -- thou being five, and I but three
 years of age -- we can undertake nothing without the counsel of
 our friends and other good men.  Now I and my men think that we
 stand nearer to the danger and necessity common to us both, than
 thou and thy friends; therefore make it so that thou, as soon as
 possible, come to me, and as strong in troops as possible, that
 we may be assembled to meet whatever may come.  He will be our
 best friend who does all he can that we may be united, and may
 take an equal part in all things.  But if thou refuse, and wilt
 not come after this message which I send thee in need, as thou
 hast done before, then thou must expect that I will come against
 thee with an armament; and let God decide between us; for we are
 not in a condition to sit here at so great an expense, and with
 so numerous a body of troops as are necessary here on account of
 the enemy, and besides many other pressing charges, whilst thou
 hast half of all the land-tax and other revenues of Norway.  Live
 in the peace of God!"
 Then Ottar Birting stood up in the Thing, and first of all
 answered thus: "This is King Sigurd's reply to his brother King
 Inge -- that God will reward him for his good salutation, and
 likewise for the trouble and burden which he and his friends have
 in this kingdom, and in matters of necessity which effect them
 both.  Although now some think there is something sharp in King
 Inge's message to his brother Sigurd, yet he has in many respects
 sufficient cause for it.  Now I will make known to you my
 opinion, and we will hear if King Sigurd and the other people of
 power will agree to it; and it is, that thou, King Sigurd, make
 thyself ready, with all the people who will follow thee, to
 defend thy country; and go as strong in men as possible to thy
 brother King Inge as soon as thou art prepared, in order to
 assist each other in all things that are for the common good; and
 may God Almighty strengthen and assist you both!  Now, king, we
 will have thy words."
 Peter, a son of Saudaulf, who was afterwards called Peter
 Byrdarsvein, bore King Sigurd to the Thing.  Then the king said,
 "Ye must know that, if I am to advise, I will go as soon as
 possible to my brother King Inge." Then others spoke, one after
 the other; but although each began his speech in his own way, he
 ended with agreeing to what Ottar Birting had proposed; and it
 was determined to call together the war-forces, and go to the
 east part of the country.  King Sigurd accordingly went with
 great armament east to Viken, and there he met his brother King
 The same autumn (A.D. 1139) Sigurd Slembe and Magnus the Blind
 came from Denmark with thirty ships, manned both with Danes and
 Northmen.  It was near to winter.  When the kings heard of this,
 they set out with their people eastwards to meet them.  They met
 at Hvalar, near Holm the Grey, the day after Martinmas, which was
 a Sunday.  King Inge and King Sigurd had twenty ships, which were
 all large.  There was a great battle; but, after the first
 assault, the Danes fled home to Denmark with eighteen ships.  On
 this Sigurd's and Magnus's ships were cleared; and as the last
 was almost entirely bare of men, and Magnus was lying in his bed,
 Hreidar Griotgardson, who had long followed him, and been his
 courtman, took King Magnus in his arms, and tried to run with him
 on board some other ship.  But Hreidar was struck by a spear,
 which went between his shoulders; and people say King Magnus was
 killed by the same spear.  Hreidar fell backwards upon the deck,
 and Magnus upon him; and every man spoke of how honourably he had
 followed his master and rightful sovereign.  Happy are they who
 have such praise!  There fell, on King Magnus's ship, Lodin
 Saupprud of Linustadar, Bruse Thormodson; and the forecastle-men
 to Sigurd Slembidjakn, Ivar Kolbeinson and Halyard Faeger, who
 had been in Sigurd Slembe's fore-hold.  This Ivar had been the
 first who had gone in, in the night, to King Harald, and had laid
 hands on him.  There fell a great number of the men of King
 Magnus and Sigurd Slembe, for Inge's men let not a single one
 escape if they got hold of him; but only a few are named here.
 They killed upon a holm more than forty men, among whom were two
 Icelanders -- the priest Sigurd Bergthorson, a grandson of Mas;
 the other Clemet, a son of Are Einarson.  But three Icelanders
 obtained their lives: namely, Ivar Skrauthanke, a son of Kalf
 Range, and who afterwards was bishop of Throndhjem, and was
 father of the archbishop Eirik.  Ivar had always followed King
 Magnus, and he escaped into his brother Jon Kauda's ship.  Jon
 was married to Cecilia, a daughter of Gyrd Bardson, and was then
 in King Inge's and Sigurd's armament.  There were three in all
 who escaped on board of Jon's ship.  The second was Arnbjorn
 Ambe, who afterwards married Thorstein's daughter in Audsholt;
 the third was Ivar Dynta, a son of Stare, but on the mother's
 side of a Throndhjem family, -- a very agreeable man.  When the
 troops came to know that these three were on board his ship, they
 took their weapons and assaulted the vessel, and some blows were
 exchanged, and the whole fleet had nearly come to a fight among
 themselves; but it came to an agreement, so that Jon ransomed his
 brothers Ivar and Arnbjorn for a fixed sum in ransom, which,
 however, was afterwards remitted.  But Ivar Dynta was taken to
 the shore, and beheaded; for Sigurd and Gyrd, the sons of
 Kolbein, would not take any mulct for him, as they knew he had
 been at their brother Beintein's murder.  Ivar the bishop said,
 that never was there anything that touched him so nearly, as
 Ivar's going to the shore under the axe, and turning to the
 others with the wish that they might meet in joy here-after.
 Gudrid Birger's daughter, a sister of Archbishop Jon, told Eirik
 Odson that she heard Bishop Ivar say this.
 A man called Thrand Gialdkere was the steersman of King Inge's
 ship.  It was come so far, that Inge's men were rowing in small
 boats between the ships after those who were swimming in the
 water, and killed those they could get hold of.  Sigurd Slembe
 threw himself overboard after his ship had lost her crew,
 stripped off his armour under the water, and then swam with his
 shield over him.  Some men from Thrand's vessel took prisoner a
 man who was swimming, and were about to kill him; but he begged
 his life, and offered to tell them where Sigurd Slembe was, and
 they agreed to it.  Shields and spears, dead men, weapons, and
 clothes, were floating all around on the sea about the ships, "Ye
 can see," said he, "a red shield floating on the water; he is
 under it."  They rowed to it immediately, took him, and brought
 him on board of Thrand's ship.  Thrand then sent a message to
 Thjostolf, Ottar, and Amunde.  Sigurd Slembe had a tinder box on
 him; and the tinder was in a walnut-shell, around which there was
 wax.  This is related, because it seems an ingenious way of
 preserving it from ever getting wet.  He swam with a shield over
 him, because nobody could know one shield from another where so
 many were floating about; and they would never have hit upon him,
 if they had not been told where he was.  When Thrand came to the
 land with Sigurd, and it was told to the troops that he was
 taken, the army set up a shout of joy.  When Sigurd heard it he
 said, "Many a bad man will rejoice over my head this day."  Then
 Thjostolf Alason went to where Sigurd was sitting, struck from
 his head a silk hat with silver fringes, and said. "Why wert thou
 so impudent, thou son of a slave!  to dare to call thyself King
 Magnus Barefoot's son?"
 Sigurd replied, "Presume not to compare my father to a slave; for
 thy father was of little worth compared to mine."
 Hal, a son of the doctor Thorgeir Steinson, King Inge's court-
 man, was present at this circumstance, and told it to Eirik
 Odson, who afterwards wrote these relations in a book, which he
 called "Hryggjarstykke".  In this book is told all concerning
 Harald Gille and his sons, and Magnus the Blind, and Sigurd
 Slembidjakn, until their deaths.  Eirik was a sensible man, who
 was long in Norway about that time.  Some of his narratives he
 wrote down from Hakon Mage's account; some were from lendermen of
 Harald's sons, who along with his sons were in all this feud, and
 in all the councils.  Eirik names, moreover, several men of
 understanding and veracity, who told him these accounts, and were
 so near that they saw or heard all that happened.  Something he
 wrote from what he himself had heard or seen.
 Hal says that the chiefs wished to have Sigurd killed instantly;
 but the men who were the most cruel, and thought they had
 injuries to avenge, advised torturing him; and for this they
 named Beintein's brothers, Sigurd and Gyrd, the sons of Kolbein.
 Peter Byrdarsvein would also avenge his brother Fin.  But the
 chiefs and the greater part of the people went away.  They broke
 his shin-bones and arms with an axe-hammer.  Then they stripped
 him, and would flay him alive; but when they tried to take off
 the skin, they could not do it for the gush of blood.  They took
 leather whips and flogged him so long, that the skin was as much
 taken off as if he had been flayed.  Then they stuck a piece of
 wood in his back until it broke, dragged him to a tree and hanged
 him; and then cut off his head, and brought the body and head to
 a heap of stones and buried them there.  All acknowledge, both
 enemies and friends, that no man in Norway, within memory of the
 living, was more gifted with all perfections, or more
 experienced, than Sigurd, but in some respects he was an unlucky
 man.  Hal says that he spoke little, and answered only a few, and
 in single words, under his tortures, although they spoke to him.
 Hal says further, that he never moved when they tortured him,
 more than if they were striking a stock or a stone.  This Hal
 alleged as proof that he was a brave hero, who had courage to
 endure tortures; for he still held his tongue, and never moved
 from the spot.  And farther he says, that he never altered his
 voice in the least, but spoke with as much ease as if he was
 sitting at the ale-table; neither speaking higher nor lower, nor
 in a more tremulous voice than he was used to do.  He spoke until
 he gave up the ghost, and sang between whiles parts of the Psalm-
 book, and which Hal considered beyond the powers and strength of
 ordinary men.  And the priest who had the church in the
 neighbourhood let Sigurd's body be transported thither to the
 church.  This priest was a friend of Harald's sons: but when they
 heard it they were angry at him, had the body carried back to
 where it had been, and made the priest pay a fine.  Sigurd's
 friends afterwards came from Denmark with a ship for his body,
 carried it to Alaborg, and interred it in Mary church in that
 town.  So said Dean Ketil, who officiated as priest at Mary
 church, to Eirik; and that Sigurd was buried there.  Thjostolf
 Alason transported Magnus the Blind's body to Oslo, and buried it
 in Halvard's church, beside King Sigurd his father.  Lodin
 Saupprud was transported to Tunsberg; but the others of the slain
 were buried on the spot.
 When the kings Sigurd and Inge had ruled over Norway about six
 years, Eystein, who was a son of Harald Gille, came in spring
 from Scotland (A.D. 1142).  Arne Sturla, Thorleif Brynjolfson,
 and Kolbein Hruga had sailed westward over the sea after Eystein,
 accompanied him to Norway, and sailed immediately with him to
 Throndhjem.  The Throndhjem people received him well; and at the
 Eyra-thing of Ascension-day he was chosen king, so that he should
 have the third part of Norway with his brothers Sigurd and Inge.
 They were at this time in the east part of the country; and men
 went between the kings who brought about a peace, and that
 Eystein should have a third part of the kingdom.  People believed
 what he said of his paternal descent, because King Harald himself
 had testified to it, and he did not resort to the ordeal of iron.
 King Eystein's mother was called Bjadok, and she followed him to
 Norway.  Magnus was the name of King Harald Gille's fourth son,
 who was fostered by Kyrpingaorm.  He also was chosen king, and
 got a fourth part of the country; but Magnus was deformed in his
 feet, lived but a short time, and died in his bed.  Einar
 Skulason speaks of them: --
      "The generous Eystein money gave;
      Sigurd in fight was quick and brave;
      Inge loved well the war-alarm;
      Magnus to save his land from harm.
      No country boasts a nobler race
      The battle-field, or Thing, to grace.
      Four brothers of such high pretence
      The sun ne'er shone upon at once."
 After King Harald Gille's death Queen Ingerid married Ottar
 Birting, who was a lendermen and a great chief, and of a
 Throndhjem family, who strengthened King Inge's government much
 while he was in his childhood.  King Sigurd was not very friendly
 to Ottar; because, as he thought, Ottar always took King Inge's
 side.  Ottar Birting was killed north in the merchant town
 (Nidaros), in an assault upon him in the twilight as he was going
 to the evening song.  When he heard the whistling of the blow he
 held up his cloak with his hands against it; thinking, no doubt,
 it was a snowball thrown at him, as young boys do in the streets.
 Ottar fell by the stroke; but his son, Alf Hrode, who just at the
 same moment was coming into the churchyard, saw his father's
 fall, and saw that the man who had killed him ran east about the
 church.  Alf ran after him, and killed him at the corner of the
 choir; and people said that he had good luck in avenging his
 father, and afterwards was much more respected than he had been
 King Eystein Haraldson was in the interior of the Throndhjem
 district when he heard of Ottar's murder, and summoned to him the
 bonde-army, with which he proceeded to the town; and he had many
 men.  Ottar's relations and other friends accused King Sigurd,
 who was in the town, of having instigated this deed; and the
 bondes were much enraged against him.  But the king offered to
 clear himself by the ordeal of iron, and thereby to establish the
 truth of his denial; and accordingly a peace was made.  King
 Sigurd went to the south end of the country, and the ordeal was
 never afterwards heard of.
 Queen Ingerid had a son to Ivar Sneis, and he was called Orm, and
 got the surname of King-brother.  He was a handsome man in
 appearance, and became a great chief, as shall be told hereafter.
 Ingerid afterwards married Arne of Stodreim, who was from this
 called King's-mate; and their children were Inge, Nikolas, Philip
 of Herdla, and Margaret, who was first married to Bjorn Buk, and
 afterwards to Simon Karason.
 Kyrpingaorm and Ragnhild, a daughter of Sveinke Steinarson, had a
 son called Erling.  Kyrpingaorm was a son of Svein Sveinson, who
 was a son of Erling of Gerd.  Otto's mother was Ragna, a daughter
 of Earl Orm Eilifson and Sigrid, a daughter of Earl Fin Arnason.
 The mother of Earl Orm was Ragnhild, a daughter of Earl Hakon the
 Great.  Erling was a man of understanding, and a great friend of
 King Inge, by whose assistance and counsel Erling obtained in
 marriage Christina, a daughter of King Sigurd the Crusader and
 Queen Malmfrid.  Erling possessed a farm at Studla in South
 Hordaland.  Erling left the country; and with him went Eindride
 Unge and several lendermen, who had chosen men with them.  They
 intended to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, and went across the
 West sea to Orkney.  There Earl Ragnvald and Bishop William
 joined them; and they had in all fifteen ships from Orkney, with
 which they first sailed to the South Hebrides, from thence west
 to Valland, and then the same way King Sigurd the Crusader had
 sailed to Norvasund; and they plundered all around in the heathen
 part of Spain.  Soon after they had sailed through the Norvasund,
 Eindride Unge and his followers, with six ships, separated from
 them; and then each was for himself.  Earl Ragnvald and Erling
 Skakke fell in with a large ship of burden at sea called a
 dromund, and gave battle to it with nine ships.  At last they
 laid their cutters close under the dromund; but the heathens
 threw both weapons and stones, and pots full of pitch and boiling
 oil.  Erling laid his ship so close under the dromund, that the
 missiles of the heathens fell without his ship.  Then Erling and
 his men cut a hole in the dromund, some working below and some
 above the water-mark; and so they boarded the vessel through it.
 So says Thorbjorn Skakkaskald, in his poem on Erling: --
      "The axes of the Northmen bold
      A door into the huge ships' hold
      Hewed through her high and curved side,
      As snug beneath her bulge they ride.
      Their spears bring down the astonished foe,
      Who cannot see from whence the blow.
      The eagle's prey, they, man by man,
      Fall by the Northmen's daring plan."
 Audunraude, Erling's forecastle-man, was the first man who got
 into the dromund.  Then they carried her, killing an immense
 number of people; making an extraordinarily valuable booty, and
 gaining a famous victory.  Earl Ragnvald and Erling Skakke came
 to Palestine in the course of their expedition, and all the way
 to the river Jordan.  From thence they went first to
 Constantinople, where they left their ships, travelled northwards
 by land, and arrived in safety in Norway, where their journey was
 highly praised.  Erling Skakke appeared now a much greater man
 than before, both on account of his journey and of his marriage;
 besides he was a prudent sensible man, rich, of great family,
 eloquent, and devoted to King Inge by the strictest friendship
 more than to the other royal brothers.
 King Sigurd went to a feast east in Viken along with his court,
 and rode past a house belonging to a great bonde called Simon.
 While the king was riding past the house, he heard within such
 beautiful singing that he was quite enchanted with it, and rode
 up to the house, and saw a lovely girl standing at the handmill
 and grinding.  The king got off his horse, and went to the girl
 and courted her.  When the king went away, the bonde Simon came
 to know what the object of the king's visit had been.  The girl
 was called Thora, and she was Simon the bonde's servant-girl.
 Simon took good care of her afterwards, and the girl brought
 forth a male child (A.D. 1047), who was called Hakon, and was
 considered King Sigurd's son.  Hakon was brought up by Simon
 Thorbergson and his wife Gunhild.  Their own sons also, Onund and
 Andreas, were brought up with Hakon, and were so dear to him that
 death only could have parted them.
 While King Eystein Haraldson was in Viken, he fell into disputes
 with the bondes of Reine and the inhabitants of Hising Isle, who
 assembled to oppose him; but he gave them battle at a place
 called Leikberg, and afterwards burnt and destroyed all around in
 Hising; so that the bondes submitted to his will, paid great
 fines to the king, and he took hostages from them.  So says Einar
 Skulason: --
      "The Viken men
      Won't strive again,
      With words or blows,
      The king to oppose.
      None safety found
      On Viken's ground,
      Till all, afraid,
      Pledge and scat paid."
 And further: --
      "The king came near;
      He who is dear
      To all good men
      Came down the glen,
      By Leikberg hill.
      They who do ill,
      The Reine folk, fly
      Or quarter cry."
 Soon after King Eystein began his journey out of the country over
 sea to the West (A.D. 1153), and sailed first to Caithness.  Here
 he heard that Earl Harald Maddad's son was in Thursa, to which he
 sailed directly in three small boats.  The earl had a ship of
 thirty banks of oars, and nearly eighty men in her.  But they
 were not prepared to make resistance, so that King Eystein was
 able to board the ship with his men; and he took the earl
 prisoner, and carried him to his own ship, but the earl ransomed
 himself with three marks of gold: and thus they parted.  Einar
 Skulason tells of it thus: --
      "Earl Harald in his stout ship lay
      On the bright sand in Thursa bay;
      With fourscore men he had no fear,
      Nor thought the Norse king was so near,
      He who provides the eagle's meals
      In three small boats along-shore steals;
      And Maddad's son must ransom pay
      For his bad outlook that fair day."
 From thence King Eystein sailed south along the east side of
 Scotland, and brought up at a merchant-town in Scotland called
 Aberdeen, where he killed many people, and plundered the town. 
 So says Einar Skulason: --
      "At Aberdeen, too, I am told,
      Fell many by our Norsemen bold;
      Peace was disturbed, and blue swords broke
      With many a hard and bloody stroke."
 The next battle was at Hartlepool in the south, with a party of
 horsemen.  The king put them to flight, and seized some ships
 there.  So says Einar: --
      "At Hartlepool, in rank and row,
      The king's court-men attack the foe.
      The king's sharp sword in blood was red,
      Blood dropped from every Norse spear-head.
      Ravens rejoice o'er the warm food
      Of English slain, each where he stood;
      And in the ships their thirst was quenched:
      The decks were in the foe's blood drenched."
 Then he went southwards to England, and had his third battle at
 Whitby, and gained the victory, and burnt the town.  So says
 Einar: --
      "The ring of swords, the clash of shields,
      Were loud in Whitby's peaceful fields;
      For here the king stirred up the strife. --
      Man against man, for death or life.
      O'er roof and tower, rose on high
      The red wrath-fire in the sky;
      House after house the red fiend burns;
      By blackened walls the poor man mourns."
 Thereafter he plundered wide around in England, where Stephen was
 then the king.  After this King Eystein fought with some cavalry
 at Skarpasker.  So says Einar: --
      "At Skarpasker the English horse
      Retire before the Norse king's force:
      The arrow-shower like snow-drift flew,
      And the shield-covered foemen slew."
 He fought next at Pilavik, and gained the victory.  So says
 Einar: --
      "At Pilavik the wild wolf feeds,
      Well furnished by the king's brave deeds
      He poured upon the grass-green plain
      A red shower from the Perthmen slain.
      On westwards in the sea he urges,
      With fire and sword the country purges:
      Langtown he burns; the country rang,
      For sword on shield incessant clang."
 Here they burnt Langatun, a large village; and people say that
 the town has never since risen to its former condition.  After
 this King Eystein left England in autumn, and returned to Norway.
 People spoke in various ways about this expedition.
 There was good peace maintained in Norway in the first years of
 the government of Harald's sons; and as long as their old
 counsellors were alive, there was some kind of unanimity among
 them.  While Inge and Sigurd were in their childhood, they had a
 court together; but Eystein, who was come to age of discretion,
 had a court for himself.  But when Inge's and Sigurd's
 counsellors were dead, -- namely, Sadagyrd Bardson, Ottar
 Birting, Amunde Gyrdson, Thjostolf Alason, Ogmund Svipter, and
 Ogmund Denger, a brother of Erling Skakke (Erling was not much
 looked up to while Ogmund lived), -- the two kings, Inge and
 Sigurd divided their courts.  King Inge then got great assistance
 from Gregorius Dagson, a son of Dag Eilifson by Ragnhild a
 daughter of Skapte Ogmundson.  Gregorius had much property, and
 was himself a thriving, sagacious man.  He presided in the
 governing the country under King Inge, and the king allowed him
 to manage his property for him according to his own judgment.
 When King Sigurd grew up he was a very ungovernable, restless man
 in every way; and so was King Eystein, but Eystein was the more
 reasonable of the two.  King Sigurd was a stout and strong man,
 of a brisk appearance; he had light brown hair, an ugly mouth;
 but otherwise a well-shaped countenance.  He was polite in his
 conversation beyond any man, and was expert in all exercises.
 Einar Skulason speaks of this: --
      "Sigurd, expert in every way
      To wield the sword in bloody fray,
      Showed well that to the bold and brave
      God always luck and victory gave.
      In speech, as well as bloody deeds,
      The king all other men exceeds;
      And when he speaks we think that none
      Has said a word but he alone."
 King Eystein was dark and dingy in complexion, of middle height,
 and a prudent able man; but what deprived him of consideration
 and popularity with those under him were his avarice and
 narrowness.  He was married to Ragna, a daughter of Nicolas Mase.
 King Inge was the handsomest among them in countenance.  He had
 yellow but rather thin hair, which was much curled.  His stature
 was small; and he had difficulty in walking alone, because he had
 one foot withered, and he had a hump both on his back and his
 breast.  He was of cheerful conversation, and friendly towards
 his friends; was generous, and allowed other chiefs to give him
 counsel in governing the country.  He was popular, therefore,
 with the public; and all this brought the kingdom and the mass of
 the people on his side.  King Harald Gille's daughter Brigida was
 first married to the Swedish king Inge Halsteinson, and
 afterwards to Earl Karl Sonason, and then to the Swedish king
 Magnus.  She and King Inge Haraldson were cousins by the mother's
 side.  At last Brigida married Earl Birger Brose, and they had
 four sons, namely, Earl Philip, Earl Knut, Folke, and Magnus.
 Their daughters were Ingegerd, who was married to the Swedish
 king Sorkver, and their son was King Jon; a second daughter was
 called Kristin, and a third Margaret.  Harald Gille's second
 daughter was called Maria, who was married to Simon Skalp, a son
 of Halkel Huk; and their son was called Nikolas.  King Harald
 Gille's third daughter was called Margaret, who was married to
 Jon Halkelson, a brother of Simon.  Now many things occurred
 between the brothers which occasioned differences and disputes;
 but I will only relate what appears to me to have produced the
 more important events.
 In the days of Harald's sons Cardinal Nikolas came from Rome to
 Norway, being sent there by the pope.  The cardinal had taken
 offence at the brothers Sigurd and Eystein, and they were obliged
 to come to a reconciliation with him; but, on the other hand, he
 stood on the most affectionate terms with King Inge, whom he
 called his son.  Now when they were all reconciled with him, he
 moved them to let Jon Birgerson be consecrated archbishop of
 Throndhjem and gave him a vestment which is called a pallium; and
 settled moreover that the archbishop's seat should be in Nidaros,
 in Christ church, where King Olaf the Saint reposes.  Before that
 time there had only been common bishops in Norway.  The cardinal
 introduced also the law, that no man should go unpunished who
 appeared with arms in the merchant-town, excepting the twelve men
 who were in attendancce on the king.  He improved many of the
 customs of the Northmen while he was in the country.  There never
 came a foreigner to Norway whom all men respected so highly, or
 who could govern the people so well as he did.  After some time
 he returned to the South with many friendly presents, and
 declared ever afterwards that he was the greatest friend of the
 people of Norway.  When he came south to Rome the former pope
 died suddenly, and all the people of Rome would have Cardinal
 Nikolas for pope, and he was consecrated under the name of
 Adrian; and according to the report of men who went to Rome in
 his days, he had never any business, however important, to settle
 with other people, but he would break it off to speak with the
 Northmen who desired to see him.  He was not long pope, and is
 now considered a saint.
 In the time of Harald Gille's sons, it happened that a man called
 Haldor fell into the hands of the Vindland people, who took him
 and mutilated him, cut open his neck, took out the tongue through
 the opening, and cut out his tongue root.  He afterwards sought
 out the holy King Olaf, fixed his mind entirely on the holy man,
 and weeping besought King Olaf to restore his speech and health.
 Thereupon he immediately recovered his speech by the good king's
 compassion, went immediately into his service for all his life,
 and became an excellent trustworthy man.  This miracle took place
 a fortnight before the last Olafsmas, upon the day that Cardinal
 Nikolas set foot on the land of Norway.
 In the Uplands were two brothers, men of great family, and men of
 fortune, Einar and Andres, sons of Guthorm Grabard, and brothers
 of King Sigurd Haraldson's mother; and they had great properties
 and udal estates in that quarter.  They had a sister who was very
 handsome, but did not pay sufficient regard to the scandal of
 evil persons, as it afterwards appeared.  She was on a friendly
 footing with an English priest called Richard, who had a welcome
 to the house of her brothers, and on account of their friendship
 for him she did many things to please him, and often to his
 advantage; but the end of all this was, that an ugly report flew
 about concerning this girl.  When this came into the mouth of the
 public all men threw the blame on the priest.  Her brothers did
 the same, and expressed publicly, as soon as they observed it,
 that they laid the blame most on him.  The great friendship that
 was between the earl and the priest proved a great misfortune to
 both, which might have been expected, as the brothers were silent
 about their secret determination, and let nothing be observed.
 But one day they called the priest to them, who went, expecting
 nothing but good from them; enticed him from home with them,
 saying that they intended to go to another district, where they
 had some needful business, and inviting him to go with them. 
 They had with them a farm-servant who knew their purpose.  They
 went in a boat along the shore of a lake which is called Rands
 lake, and landed at a ness called Skiptisand, where they went on
 shore and amused themselves awhile.  Then they went to a retired
 place, and commanded their servant-man to strike the priest with
 an axe-hammer.  He struck the priest so hard that he swooned; but
 when he recovered he said, "Why are ye playing so roughly with
 me?"  They replied, "Although nobody has told thee of it before,
 thou shalt now find the consequence of what thou hast done." 
 They then upbraided him; but he denied their accusations, and
 besought God and the holy King Olaf to judge between them.  Then
 they broke his leg-bones, and dragged him bound to the forest
 with them; and then they put a string around his head, and put a
 board under his head and shoulders, and made a knot on the
 string, and bound his head fast to the board.  Then the elder
 brother, Einar, took a wedge, and put it on the priest's eye, and
 the servant who stood beside him struck upon it with an axe, so
 that the eye flew out, and fell upon the board.  Then he set the
 pin upon the other eye, and said to the servant, "Strike now more
 softly."  He did so, and the wedge sprang from the eye-stone, and
 tore the eyelid loose.  Then Einar took up the eyelid in his
 hand, and saw that the eye-stone was still in its place; and he
 set the wedge on the cheek, and when the servant struck it the
 eye-stone sprang out upon the cheek-bone.  Thereafter they opened
 his mouth, took his tongue and cut it off, and then untied his
 hands and his head.  As soon as he came to himself, he thought of
 laying the eye-stones in their place under the eyelids, and
 pressing then with both hands as much as he could.  Then they
 carried him on board, and went to a farm called Saeheimrud, where
 they landed.  They sent up to the farm to say that a priest was
 lying in the boat at the shore.  While the message was going to
 the farm, they asked the priest if he could talk; and he made a
 noise and attempted to speak.  Then said Einar to his brother,
 "If he recover and the stump of his tongue grow, I am afraid he
 will get his speech again."  Thereupon they seized the stump with
 a pair of tongs, drew it out, cut it twice, and the third time to
 the very roots, and left him lying half dead.  The housewife in
 the farm was poor; but she hastened to the place with her
 daughter, and they carried the priest home to their farm in their
 cloaks.  They then brought a priest, and when he arrived he bound
 all his wounds; and they attended to his comfort as much as they
 were able.  And thus lay the wounded priest grievously handled,
 but trusting always to God's grace, and never doubting; and
 although he was speechless, he prayed to God in thought with a
 sorrowful mind, but with the more confidence the worse he was. 
 He turned his thoughts also to the mild King Olaf the Saint,
 God's dear favourite, of whose excellent deeds he had heard so
 much told, and trusted so much more zealously on him with all his
 heart for help in his necessity.  As he lay there lame, and
 deprived of all strength, he wept bitterly, moaned, and prayed
 with a sore heart that the dear King Olaf would help him.  Now
 when this wounded priest was sleeping after midnight, he thought
 he saw a gallant man coming to him, who spoke these words, "Thou
 art ill off, friend Richard, and thy strength is little."  He
 thought he replied to this assentingly.  Then the man accosted
 him again, "Thou requirest compassion?"  The priest replies, "I
 need the compassion of Almighty God and the holy King Olaf."  He
 answered, "Thou shalt get it."  Thereupon he pulled the tongue-
 stump so hard that it gave the priest pain; then he stroked with
 his hands his eyes, and legs, and other wounded members.  Then
 the priest asked who he was.  He looked at him, and said, "Olaf,
 come here from Throndhjem;" and then disappeared.  But the priest
 awoke altogether sound, and thus he spoke: "Happy am I, and
 thanks be to the Almighty God and the holy King Olaf, who have
 restored me!"  Dreadfully mishandled as he had been, yet so
 quickly was he restored from his misfortune that he scarcely
 thought he had been wounded or sick.  His tongue was entire; both
 his eyes were in their places, and were clear-sighted; his broken
 legs and every other wound were healed, or were free from pain;
 and, in short, he had got perfect health.  But as a proof that
 his eyes had been punched out, there remained a white scar on
 each eyelid, in order that this dear king's excellence might be
 manifest on the man who had been so dreadfully misused.
 King Eystein and King Sigurd had quarrelled, because King Sigurd
 had killed King Eystein's court-man Harald, the Viken man, who
 owned a house in Bergen, and also the priest Jon Tapard, a son of
 Bjarne Sigurdson.  On account of this affair, a conference to
 settle it was appointed in winter in the Uplands.  The two sat
 together in the conference for a long time, and so much was known
 of their conference that all three brothers were to meet the
 following summer in Bergen.  It was added, that their conference
 was to the effect that King Inge should have two or three farms,
 and as much income as would keep thirty men beside him, as he had
 not health to be a king.  When King Inge and Gregorius heard this
 report, they came to Bergen with many followers.  King Sigurd
 arrived there a little later, and was not nearly so strong in
 men.  Sigurd and Inge had then been nineteen years kings of
 Norway (A.D. 1155).  King Eystein came later still from the south
 than the other two from the north.  Then King Inge ordered the
 Thing to be called together on the holm by the sound of trumpet;
 and Sigurd and Inge came to it with a great many people.
 Gregorius had two long-ships, and at the least ninety men, whom
 he kept in provisions.  He kept his house-men better than other
 lendermen; for he never took part in any entertainment where each
 guest brings his liquor, without having all his house-men to
 drink with him.  He went now to the Thing in a gold-mounted
 helmet, and all his men had helmets on.  Then King Inge stood up,
 and told the assembly what he had heard; how his brothers were
 going to use him, and depose him from his kingdom; and asked for
 their assistance.  The assembled people made a good return to his
 speech, and declared they would follow him.
 Then King Sigurd stood up and said it was a false accusation that
 King Inge had made against him and his brother, and insisted that
 Gregorius had invented it; and insinuated that it would not be
 long, if he had his will, before they should meet so that the
 golden helmet should be doffed; and ended his speech by hinting
 that they could not both live.  Gregorius replied, that Sigurd
 need not long so much for this, as he was ready now, if it must
 be so.  A few days after, one of Gregorius's house-men was killed
 out upon the street, and it was Sigurd's house-men who killed
 him.  Gregorius would then have fallen upon King Sigurd and his
 people; but King Inge, and many others, kept him back.  But one
 evening, just as Queen Ingerid, King Inge's mother, was coming
 from vespers, she came past where Sigurd Skrudhyrna, a courtman
 of King Inge, lay murdered.  He was then an old man, and had
 served many kings.  King Sigurd's courtmen, Halyard Gunnarson,
 and Sigurd, a son of Eystein Trafale, had killed him; and people
 suspected it was done by order of King Sigurd.  She went
 immediately to King Inge, and told him he would be a little king
 if he took no concern, but allowed his court-men to be killed,
 the one after the other, like swine.  The king was angry at her
 speech; and while they were scolding about it, came Gregorius in
 helmet and armour, and told the king not to be angry, for she was
 only saying the truth.  "And I am now," says he, "come to thy
 assistance, if thou wilt attack King Sigurd; and here we are,
 above 100 men in helmets and armour, and with them we will attack
 where others think the attack may be worst."  But the most
 dissuaded from this course, thinking that Sigurd would pay the
 mulct for the slaughter done.  Now when Gregorius saw that there
 would be no assault, he accosted King Inge thus: "Thou wilt
 frighten thy men from thee in this way; for first they lately
 killed my house-man, and now thy court-man, and afterwards they
 will chase me, or some other of thy lendermen whom thou wouldst
 feel the loss of, when they see that thou art indifferent about
 such things; and at last, after thy friends are killed, they will
 take the royal dignity from thee.  Whatever thy other lendermen
 may do, I will not stay here longer to be slaughtered like an ox;
 but Sigurd the king and I have a business to settle with each
 other to-night, in whatever way it may turn out.  It is true that
 there is but little help in thee on account of thy ill health,
 but I should think thy will should not be less to hold thy hand
 over thy friends, and I am now quite ready to go from hence to
 meet Sigurd, and my banner is flying in the yard."
 Then King Inge stood up, and called for his arms, and ordered
 every man who wished to follow him to get ready, declaring it was
 of no use to try to dissuade him; for he had long enough avoided
 this, but now steel must determine between them.
 King Sigurd sat and drank in Sigrid Saeta's house ready for
 battle, although people thought it would not come to an assault
 at all.  Then came King Inge with his men down the road from the
 smithy shops, against the house.  Arne, the king's brother-in-
 law, came out from the Sand-bridge, Aslak Erlendson from his own
 house, and Gregorius from the street where all thought the
 assault would be worst.  King Sigurd and his men made many shots
 from the holes in the loft, broke down the fireplaces, and threw
 stones on them.  Gregorius and his men cut down the gates of the
 yard; and there in the port fell Einar, a son of Laxapaul, who
 was of Sigurd's people, together with Halvard Gunnarson, who was
 shot in a loft, and nobody lamented his death.  They hewed down
 the houses, and many of King Sigurd's men left him, and
 surrendered for quarter.  Then King Sigurd went up into a loft,
 and desired to be heard.  He had a gilt shield, by which they
 knew him, but they would not listen to him, and shot arrows at
 him as thick as snow in a snow-shower, so that he could not stay
 there.  As his men had now left him, and the houses were being
 hewn down, he went out from thence, and with him his court-man
 Thord Husfreyja from Viken.  They wanted to come where King Inge
 was to be found, and Sigurd called to his brother King Inge, and
 begged him to grant him life and safety; but both Thord and
 Sigurd were instantly killed, and Thord fell with great glory.
 King Sigurd was interred in the old Christ church out on the
 holm.  King Inge gave Gregorius the ship King Sigurd had owned.
 There fell many of King Sigurd's and King Inge's men, although I
 only name a few; but of Gregorius's men there fell four; and also
 some who belonged to no party, but were shot on the piers, or out
 in the ships.  It was fought on a Friday, and fourteen days
 before Saint John the Baptist's day (June 10, 1155).  Two or
 three days after King Eystein came from the eastward with thirty
 ships, and had along with him his brother's son Hakon, a son of
 King Sigurd.  Eystein did not come up to the town, but lay in
 Floruvagar, and good men went between to get a reconciliation
 made.  But Gregorius wanted that they should go out against him,
 thinking there never would be a better opportunity; and offered
 to be himself the leader.  "For thou, king, shalt not go, for we
 have no want of men."  But many dissuaded from this course, and
 it came to nothing.  King Eystein returned back to Viken, and
 King Inge to Throndhjem, and they were in a sort reconciled; but
 they did not meet each other.
 Somewhat later than King Eystein, Gregorius Dagson also set out
 to the eastward and came to his farm Bratsberg in Hofund; but
 King Eystein was up in the fjord at Oslo, and had his ships drawn
 above two miles over the frozen sea, for there was much ice at
 that time in Viken.  King Eystein went up to Hofund to take
 Gregorius; but he got news of what was on foot, and escaped to
 Thelemark with ninety men, from thence over the mountains, and
 came down in Hardanger; and at last to Studla in Etne, to Erling
 Skakke's farm.  Erling himself had gone north to Bergen; but his
 wife Kristin, a daughter of King Sigurd, was at home, and offered
 Gregorius all the assistance he wanted; and he was hospitably
 received.  He got a long-ship there which belonged to Erling, and
 everything else he required.  Gregorius thanked her kindly, and
 allowed that she had behaved nobly, and as might have been
 expected of her.  Gregorius then proceeded to Bergen, where he
 met Erling, who thought also that his wife had done well.
 Then Gregorius went north to Throndhjem, and came there before
 Yule.  King Inge was rejoiced at his safety, and told him to use
 his property as freely as his own, King Eystein having burnt
 Gregorius's house, and slaughtered his stock of cattle.  The
 ship-docks which King Eystein the Elder had constructed in the
 merchant town of Nidaros, and which had been exceedingly
 expensive, were also burnt this winter, together with some good
 vessels belonging to King Inge.  This deed was ascribed to King
 Eystein and Philip Gyrdson, King Sigurd's foster-brother, and
 occasioned much displeasure and hatred.  The following summer
 King Inge went south with a very numerous body of men; and King
 Eystein came northwards, gathering men also.  They met in the
 east (A.D. 1156) at the Seleys, near to the Naze; but King Inge
 was by far the strongest in men.  It was nearly coming to a
 battle; but at last they were reconciled on these conditions,
 that King Eystein should be bound to pay forty-five marks of
 gold, of which King Inge should have thirty marks, because King
 Eystein had occasioned the burning of the docks and ships; and,
 besides, that Philip, and all who had been accomplices in the
 deed, should be outlawed.  Also that the men should be banished
 the country, against whom it could be proved that they gave blow
 or wound to King Sigurd; for King Eystein accused King Inge of
 protecting these men; and that Gregorius should have fifteen
 marks of gold for the value of his property burnt by King
 Eystein.  King Eystein was ill pleased with these terms, and
 looked upon the treaty as one forced upon him.  From that meeting
 King Inge went eastward to Viken, and King Eystein north to
 Throndhjem; and they had no intercourse with each other, nor were
 the messages which passed between them very friendly, and on both
 sides they killed each other's friends.  King Eystein, besides,
 did not pay the money; and the one accused the other of not
 fulfilling what was promised.  King Inge and Gregorius enticed
 many people from King Eystein; among others, Bard Standale
 Brynjolfson, Simon Skalp, a son of Halkel Huk, Halder
 Brynjolfson, Jon Halkelson, and many other lendermen.
 Two years after King Sigurd's fall (A.D. 1157) both kings
 assembled armaments; namely, King Inge in the east of the
 country, where he collected eighty ships; and King Eystein in the
 north, where he had forty-five, and among these the Great Dragon,
 which King Eystein Magnuson had built after the Long Serpent; and
 they had on both sides many and excellent troops.  King Inge lay
 with his ships south at Moster Isle, and King Eystein a little to
 the north in Graeningasund.  King Eystein sent the young Aslak
 Jonson, and Arne Sturla, a son of Snaebjorn, with one ship to
 meet King Inge; but when the king's men knew them, they assaulted
 them, killed many of their people, and took all that was in the
 ship belonging to them.  Aslak and Arne and a few more escaped to
 the land, went to King Eystein, and told him how King Inge had
 received them.  Thereupon King Eystein held a House-thing, and
 told his followers how ill King Inge had treated his men, and
 desired the troops to follow him.  "I have," said he, "so many,
 and such excellent men, that I have no intention to fly, if ye
 will follow me."  But this speech was not received with much
 favour.  Halkel Huk was there; but both his sons, Simon and Jon,
 were with King Inge.  Halkel replied, so loud that many heard
 him, "Let thy chests of gold follow thee, and let them defend thy
 In the night many of King Eystein's ships rowed secretly away,
 some of them joining King Inge, some going to Bergen, or up into
 the fjords; so that when it was daylight in the morning the king
 was lying behind with only ten ships.  Then he left the Great
 Dragon, which was heavy to row, and several other vessels behind;
 and cut and destroyed the Dragon, started out the ale, and
 destroyed all that they could not take with them.  King Eystein
 went on board of the ship of Eindride, a son of Jon Morner,
 sailed north into Sogn, and then took the land-road eastwards to
 Viken.  King Inge took the vessels, and sailed with them outside
 of the isles to Viken.  King Eystein had then got east as far as
 Fold, and had with him 1200 men; but when they saw King Inge's
 force, they did not think themselves sufficiently strong to
 oppose him, and they retired to the forest.  Every one fled his
 own way, so that the king was left with but one man.  King Inge
 and his men observed King Eystein's flight, and also that he had
 but few people with him, and they went immediately to search for
 him.  Simon Skalp met the king just as he was coming out of a
 willow bush.  Simon saluted him.  "God save you, sire," said he.
 The king replied, "I do not know if thou are not sire here." 
 Simon replied, "That is as it may happen."
 The king begged him to conceal him, and said it was proper to do
 so.  "For there was long friendship between us, although it has
 now gone differently."
 Simon replied, it could not be.
 Then the king begged that he might hear mass before he died,
 which accordingly took place.  Then Eystein laid himself down on
 his face on the grass, stretched out his hands on each side, and
 told them to cut the sign of the cross between his shoulders, and
 see whether he could not bear steel as King Inge's followers had
 asserted of him.  Simon told the man who had to put the king to
 death to do so immediately, for the king had been creeping about
 upon the grass long enough.  He was accordingly slain, and he
 appears to have suffered manfully.  His body was carried to Fors,
 and lay all night under the hill at the south side of the church.
 King Eystein was buried in Fors church, and his grave is in the
 middle of the church-floor, where a fringed canopy is spread over
 it, and he is considered a saint.  Where he was executed, and his
 blood ran upon the ground, sprang up a fountain, and another
 under the hill where his body lay all night.  From both these
 waters many think they have received a cure of sickness and pain.
 It is reported by the Viken people that many miracles were
 wrought at King Eystein's grave, until his enemies poured upon it
 soup made of boiled dog's flesh.  Simon Skalp was much hated for
 this deed, which was generally ascribed to him; but some said
 that when King Eystein was taken Simon sent a message to King
 Inge, and the king commanded that King Eystein should not come
 before his face.  So King Sverre has caused it to be written; but
 Einar Skulason tells of it thus: --
      "Simon Skalp, the traitor bold,
      For deeds of murder known of old,
      His king betrayed; and ne'er will he
      God's blessed face hereafter see."