1. We will explain the (secret) penances which are not prescribed (by others, but by the offender himself, and) particularly what shall be done in (case) faults (have been committed) by men who, with concentrated minds, (are) intent (on the performance of their duties). 1
2. (Such a man) may sip water, (in order to atone) for all mortal sins, reciting the syllable Om and all the Vyâhritis. 2
3. When he sips water the first time, he gladdens the Rig-veda, the second time the Yagur-veda, the third time the Sâma-veda. 3
4. When he wipes (his lips) the first time, he gladdens the Atharva-veda, the second time the Itihâsas and Purânas.
5. When he sprinkles water on the right hand, the feet, the head, the heart, the nostrils, the eyes, the ears, and the navel, he gladdens the trees and herbs and all deities. Therefore he is freed from all sin by sipping water.
6. Or let him offer in the fire eight pieces of sacred fuel, reciting (the following) eight (texts): 'Thou art the expiation of sin committed by the gods, Svâhâ;' 'Thou art the expiation of sin committed by men, Svâhâ;' 'Thou art the expiation of sin committed by the manes, Svâhâ;' 'Thou art the expiation of sin committed by myself, Svâhâ;' 'Thou art the expiation of the sift which we have committed either by day or by night, Svâhâ;" Thou art the expiation of the sin which we have committed either sleeping or waking, Svâhâ;' 'Thou art the expiation of the sin which we have committed either intentionally or unintentionally, Svâhâ;' Thou art the expiation of every sin, Svâhâ.' 6
7. When he has offered (these eight oblations) he will be freed from all guilt.
8. Now they quote also (the following verse): 'The Aghamarshana, the Devakrita, the Suddhavatîs, the Taratsamâs, the Kûshmândîs, the Pâvamânîs, the Virâgâs, the Mrityulâṅgala, the Durgâ (Sâvitrî), the Vyâhritis, and the Rudras (are texts) which are very efficacious for effacing sin.' 8
320:1 3. Vasishtha XXV, 1-2. The whole Adhyâya is left out in the Dekhan MSS., including K. The omission may have been caused by the circumstance that the initial verses of Adhyâyas 3 and are identical.
320:2 Gautama XXV, 9; Vasishtha XXV, 4.
320:3-5. See the rules for sipping water, given above, I, 5, 8, 19-26.
321:6 Gautama XXV, 10. The Mantras occur Taitt. Âranyaka X, 59.
321:8 Vishnu LVI, 3, and note; Vasishtha XXVIII, 10-15.