The Holy Quran, tr. by Yusuf Ali, , at sacred-texts.com
83. Fama amana limoosa illa thurriyyatun min qawmihi AAala khawfin min firAAawna wamala-ihim an yaftinahum wa-inna firAAawna laAAalin fee al-ardi wa-innahu lamina almusrifeena
83. But none believed in Moses
Except some children of his People,
Because of the fear of Pharaoh
And his chiefs, lest they
Should persecute them; and certainly
Pharaoh was mighty on the earth
And one who transgressed all bounds.
84. Waqala moosa ya qawmi in kuntum amantum biAllahi faAAalayhi tawakkaloo in kuntum muslimeena
84. Moses said: "O my People!
If ye do (really) believe
In God, then in Him
Put your trust if ye
Submit (your will to His)."
85. Faqaloo AAala Allahi tawakkalna rabbana la tajAAalna fitnatan lilqawmi alththalimeena
85. They said: "In God
Do we put our trust.
Our Lord! make us not
A trial for those
Who practise oppression;
86. Wanajjina birahmatika mina alqawmi alkafireena
86. "And deliver us by Thy Mercy
From those who reject (Thee)."
87. Waawhayna ila moosa waakheehi an tabawwaa liqawmikuma bimisra buyootan waijAAaloo buyootakum qiblatan waaqeemoo alssalata wabashshiri almu/mineena
87. We inspired Moses and his brother
With this Message: "Provide
Dwellings for your People
In Egypt, make your dwellings
Into places of worship,
And establish regular prayers:
And give Glad Tidings
To those who believe!"
88. Waqala moosa rabbana innaka atayta firAAawna wamalaahu zeenatan waamwalan fee alhayati alddunya rabbana liyudilloo AAan sabeelika rabbana itmis AAala amwalihim waoshdud AAala quloobihim fala yu/minoo hatta yarawoo alAAathaba al-aleema
88. Moses prayed: "Our Lord!
Thou hast indeed bestowed
On Pharaoh and his Chiefs
Splendour and wealth in the life
Of the Present, and so,
Our Lord, they mislead (men)
From Thy Path. Deface.
Our Lord, the features of their wealth,
And send hardness to their hearts,
So they will not believe
Until they see
The grievous Penalty."
89. Qala qad ojeebat daAAwatukuma faistaqeema wala tattabiAAanni sabeela allatheena la yaAAlamoona
89. God said: "Accepted is
Your prayer (O Moses and Aaron)
So stand ye straight,
And follow not the path
Of those who know not.
90. Wajawazna bibanee isra-eela albahra faatbaAAahum firAAawnu wajunooduhu baghyan waAAadwan hatta itha adrakahu algharaqu qala amantu annahu la ilaha illa allathee amanat bihi banoo isra-eela waana mina almuslimeena
90. We took the Children
Of Israel across the sea:
Pharaoh and his hosts followed them
In insolence and spite.
At length, when overwhelmed
With the flood, he said:
"I believe that there is no god
Except Him Whom the Children
Of Israel believe in:
I am of those who submit
(To God in Islām)."
91. Al-ana waqad AAasayta qablu wakunta mina almufsideena
91. (It was said to him:)
"Ah now!—But a little while
Before, wast thou in rebellion!—
And thou didst mischief (and violence)!
92. Faalyawma nunajjeeka bibadanika litakoona liman khalfaka ayatan wa-inna katheeran mina alnnasi AAan ayatina laghafiloona
92. "This day shall We save thee
In thy body, that thou
Mayest be a Sign to those
Who come after thee!
But verily, many among mankind
Are heedless of Our Signs!"