The Holy Quran, tr. by Yusuf Ali, , at sacred-texts.com
8. Wamina alnnasi man yaqoolu amanna biAllahi wabialyawmi al-akhiri wama hum bimu/mineena
8. Of the people there are some who say:
"We believe in God and the Last Day;"
But they do not (really) believe.
9. YukhadiAAoona Allaha waallatheena amanoo wama yakhdaAAoona illa anfusahum wama yashAAuroona
9. Fain would they deceive
God and those who believe,
But they only deceive themselves,
And realize (it) not!
10. Fee quloobihim maradun fazadahumu Allahu maradan walahum AAathabun aleemun bima kanoo yakthiboona
10. In their hearts is a disease;
And God has increased their disease:
And grievous is the penalty they (incur),
Because they are false (to themselves).
11. Wa-itha qeela lahum la tufsidoo fee al-ardi qaloo innama nahnu muslihoona
11. When it is said to them:
"Make not mischief on the earth,"
They say: "Why, we only
Want to make peace!"
12. Ala innahum humu almufsidoona walakin la yashAAuroona
12. Of a surety, they are the ones
Who make mischief,
But they realize (it) not.
13. Wa-itha qeela lahum aminoo kama amana alnnasu qaloo anu/minu kama amana alssufahao ala innahum humu alssufahao walakin la yaAAlamoona
13. When it is said to them:
"Believe as the others believe:"
They say: "Shall we believe
As the fools believe?"
Nay, of a surety they are the fools,
But they do not know."
14. Wa-itha laqoo allatheena amanoo qaloo amanna wa-itha khalaw ila shayateenihim qaloo inna maAAakum innama nahnu mustahzi-oona
14. When they meet those who believe,
They say: "We believe;"
But when they are alone
With their evil ones,
They say: "We are really with you:
We (were) only jesting."
15. Allahu yastahzi-o bihim wayamudduhum fee tughyanihim yaAAmahoona
15. God will throw back
Their mockery on them,
And give them rope in their trespasses;
So they will wander like blind ones
(To and fro).
16. Ola-ika allatheena ishtarawoo alddalalata bialhuda fama rabihat tijaratuhum wama kanoo muhtadeena
16. These are they who have bartered
Guidance for error:
But their traffic is profitless,
And they have lost true direction,
17. Mathaluhum kamathali allathee istawqada naran falamma adaat ma hawlahu thahaba Allahu binoorihim watarakahum fee thulumatin la yubsiroona
17. Their similitude is that of a man
Who kindled a fire;
When it lighted all around him,
God took away their light
And left them in utter darkness.
So they could not see.
18. Summun bukmun AAumyun fahum la yarjiAAoona
18. Deaf, dumb, and blind,
They will not return (to the path).
19. Aw kasayyibin mina alssama-i feehi thulumatun waraAAdun wabarqun yajAAaloona asabiAAahum fee athanihim mina alssawaAAiqi hathara almawti waAllahu muheetun bialkafireena
19. Or (another similitude)
Is that of a rain-laden cloud
From the sky: in it are zones
Of darkness, and thunder and lightning:
They press their fingers in their ears
To keep out the stunning thunder-clap,
The while they are in terror of death.
But God is ever round
The rejecters of Faith!
20. Yakadu albarqu yakhtafu absarahum kullama adaa lahum mashaw feehi wa-itha athlama AAalayhim qamoo walaw shaa Allahu lathahaba bisamAAihim waabsarihim inna Allaha AAala kulli shay-in qadeerun
20. The lightning all but snatches away
Their sight; every time the light
(Helps) them, they walk therein,
And when the darkness grows on them,
They stand still.
And if God willed, He could take away
Their faculty of hearing and seeing;
For God hath power over all things