The Grihya Sutras, Part 1 (SBE29), by Hermann Oldenberg, , at sacred-texts.com
1 1-13. On the middle (Ashtakâ) a cow (is sacrificed).
4, 1. madhyamâyâm gaus.
2. He should place that (cow) to the east of the fire, facing the west, and should sacrifice (Âgya) with (the verse), 'What, O beasts' (MB. II, 2, 5).
3. After having made that oblation he should recite over (the cow the verse), 'May to thee' (l.l. 6).
4. Let him sprinkle it with water in which barley is, with (the formula), 'Agreeable to the Ashtakâ I sprinkle thee!'
5. Having sprinkled it and carried a fire-brand round it, he should give the Prokshanî water (to the cow) to drink.
6. Going in a northern direction (from the fire) he should kill (the cow), the head of which is turned to the west, the feet to the north.
7. After it has been killed, he should sacrifice (Âgya) with (the verse), 'If the beast' (l.l. 8).
8. His wife should wash the apertures of its body.
9. After (the cow's body) has been opened, so that two purifiers (i.e. grass-blades) have been put under (the knife), he should have the omentum drawn out.
10. Seizing it with one branch and with another forked branch of a sacrificially pure tree he should roast it.
11. When it has ceased to drop, he should hew (the cow) to pieces.
2. tam purastâd agneh pratyaṅmukhîm avasthâpya guhuyâd yat pasava iti. 3. hutvâ kânumantrayetânu tveti. 4. yavamatîbhir adbhih prokshed ashtakâyai tvâ gushtam (correct, gushtâm) prokshâmîti. 5. prokshyolmukena parihritya prokshanîh pâyayed. 6. udaṅṅ utsripya pratyaksirasam (°sim, °sîm the MSS.) udakpadîm samgñapayet. 7. samgñaptâyâm guhuyâd yat pasur iti. 8. tasyâh patnî srotâmsi prakshâlayet. 9. pavitre antardhâyotkritya vapâm uddhârayed. 10. yagñiyasya vrikshasya visâkhâsâkhâbhyâm parigrihyâgnau srapayet. 11. prasritâyâm visased.
12. The 'spreading under' and sprinkling (Âgya) on (the omentum) has been described. (It is clone) as at the Svishtakrit oblation (see II, 1, 24).
13. He should sacrifice with (the formula), 'To the Ashtakâ Svâhâ!'
14 14-24. The Avadânas (or portions which have to be cut off) he should have taken from all its limbs.
15. Not from the left thigh and the lungs.
16. The left thigh he keeps (for the Anvashtakya).
17. He should cook the Avadânas and a mess of sacrificial food, (stirring up the ones and the other) with two different pot-ladles.
18. The juice he lets drop into a brazen vessel.
19. The Avadânas he puts on branches of the Plaksha tree.
20. From each (Avadâna) he should cut off (the prescribed portions, and should put them) into a brazen vessel;
21. And from the mess of cooked food.
22. Let him take four portions or eight portions of Âgya (?) and let him sacrifice it with (the verses), 'Into Agni' (MB. II, 2, 9 seqq.).
23. Let him make oblations out of the brazen vessel, each oblation with two of the following (verses).
12. uktam upastaranâbhighâranam yathâ svishtakrito. 13. ऽshtakâyai svâheti guhuyât. 14. sarvâṅgebhyoऽvadânâny uddhârayen. 15. na savyât sakthno na klomnah. 16. savyam sakthi nidhâya. 17. prithaṅ mekshanâbhyâm avadânâni sthâlîpâkañ ka srapayitvâ. 18. kamse rasam prasrâvya. 19. plakshasâkhâsv avadânâni kritvai. 20. ऽkaikasmât kamseऽvadyet. 21. sthâlîpâkâk ka. 22. katurgrihîtam ashtagrihîtam vâtra (vâgyam? vâtram, vâtra the MSS.) guhuyâd Agnâv iti. 23. kamsât parâbhir dvâbhyâm dvâbhyâm ekaikâm âhutim.
24. The oblation to (Agni) Svishtakrit with the eighth (verse).
25 25-28. At a sacrifice to the Fathers the omentum is sacrificed with (the verse), 'Carry the omentum' (MB. II, 3, 16).
26. At one to the gods with (the verse), 'Gâtavedas!' (l.l. 17.)
27. If (the deity is) unknown, (in the formula for) assigning (the oblation, instead of the name of a deity the name of) that (ceremony is put)
28. As (for instance), 'To the Ashtakâ.'
29. An animal is the sacrificial fee at (the sacrifice of) an animal;
30 30. A full vessel at (that of) a mess of cooked food.
24. sauvishtakritam ashtamyâ. 25. vaha vapâm iti pitrye vapâhomo. 26. Gâtaveda iti daivatye. 27. tadâdesam anâgñâte. 28. yathâshtakâyâ iti. 29. pasur eva pasor dakshinâ. 30. sthâlîpâkasya pûrnapâtram.
417:1-13 4, 1-13 = Gobhila III, 10, 18 seqq.
419:14-24 14-24 = IV, I, 3-17.
420:25-28 25-28 = IV, 4, 22-24 (29 deest).
420:30 30 = 1, 9, 6. 10.