1. One who has (unawares) had illicit sexual intercourse, must perform the Prâgâpatya penance for a year, according to the rule of the Mahâvrata, clad in a garment of bark, and living in a forest.
2. The same (penance is ordained) for sexual intercourse with the wife of another man (who belongs to his own caste, but is no Guru of his).
3. For intercourse with a cow, the Govrata (must be performed).
4. For intercourse with a man, for unnatural crimes with a woman, (for wasting his manhood) in the air, (for intercourse with a woman) in water, by day, or in a go-cart, he must bathe dressed in his clothes.
5. By intercourse (knowingly) with a Kandâla woman, he becomes her equal in caste.
6. For intercourse unawares with such, he must perform the Kândrâyana twice.
7. For intercourse (knowingly) with cattle (other) than cows) or with a public prostitute, (he must perform) the Prâgâpatya penance.
8. A woman who has committed adultery once,
[LIII. 1-8. M. XI, 106, 171-177.--4. Y. III, 291.--9. M. XI, 179.
1. 1 The crime intended here is explained by Nand. as being illicit intercourse with a step-mother, who belongs to the Sûdra caste.
3. See L, 16-24.
4. 1 'Or in a cart drawn by asses or by other beasts of draught, as the particle ka implies.' (Nand.)
5. 1 'Or with a woman of an equally degraded caste, such as tile Svapaka caste and others.' (Nand.)
8. See Sûtra 2.]
must perform that penance which has been prescribed for an adulterer.
9. That guilt which a Brâhmana incurs by intercourse with a Kandâla woman one night, he can only remove by subsisting upon alms, and constantly repeating (the Gâyatrî) for three years.