Sacred Texts  Index  Previous  Next

sacred-texts |  Web | Powered by Google

Internet Book of Shadows, (Various Authors), [1999], at sacred-texts.com

Making Contact with the Lord and Lady

(Pre Self Initiation Exercise)

By Karnayna Lilly

An Official Document of

The Green Man Craft Tradition

Copyright© 1999

I. Physical Preparations

In a convenient place, preferably in the North, set up a small altar. Cover the altar with a cloth of your choosing. Upon this altar have at each rear corner a candle. Use white at this time. Between these place a censer or incense burner. For this purpose a stick burner will work very well. Use incense that gives you a sense of power and connection with the Greenwood.

Images of the God and Goddess are a bonus however they are not mandatory. Framed images in this case work quite well. If you do not have images I will e mail you some to print. If you use them always remember that the Left side is for The Goddess and the Right, the God.

You will need a small bowl of water and one of salt.

Also a glass of wine or other suitable beverage. Any fruit juice works well however a good wine of your choice is best.

Finally you will need anointing oil. For this use Patchouli.

Your matter of dress is your choice. It is best to work in loose comfortable clothing and as you know Gardnerians work skyclad. At this point I want to make clear that my instruction will not make you an official Gardnerian because there is a strict rule that self initiation is an apostasy. You will however eventually self initiate yourself in the Green Man Craft Tradition.

II. The Ritual

Each evening approach your altar and sit before it. Use a chair if you must. Light the candles and incense and say:

“I welcome you Great Lord and Lady and invite you to attend my ceremony”

Now, to the best of your ability imagine that you are surrounded by a sphere of white light. Not just a circle. When this is accomplished take the salt and lift it as in offering and say:

“Lord and Lady (Your Choice of God Names will come later) I, a seeker of Thy mysteries do pray Thee, bless and purify this salt that it may be used for the good of all. So mote it be.”

Replace the salt and repeat the above with the water. Now place three pinches of the salt in the water. Hold up the mixture and say:

Lord and Lady Bless this union of earth and water that by Thy power all that is unclean will be cast away.”

Sprinkle the mixture in a CLOCKWISE direction three times. Replace the mixture and say:

“Blessed Be”

Take the incense and say”

“Lord and Lady Bless this union of fire and air that by Thy power all that is unclean will be cast away.”

Cense the incense in a CLOCKWISE direction three times. Replace the mixture and say:

“Blessed Be”

Now return to your place in front of the altar. Meditate for a moment on why you feel that you are being called to the Lord and Lady. Take your time. You will find that each night you will learn something different. When you feel ready begin the invocation:

“I invoke thee and call upon thee, O Mighty Mother of us all, bringer of all fruitfulness, by seed  and root, by stem and bud, by leaf and flower and fruit do I invoke thee to bless me and admit me into the company of Thy hidden children, So Mote it Be!”

Make a pentagram before the altar with the words:

"Of the mother darksome and divine,
mine the scourge and mine the kiss;
here I charge you in this sign,
the five point star of love and bliss."

Anoint yourself with the oil (forehead, solar plexus and above genital area)

Now invoke the Horned Lord:

Great Horned Lord, return to earth again!
Come at my call and show thyself to men.
Shepherd of Goats, upon the wild hill's way,
Lead thy lost flock from darkness into day.
Forgotten are the ways of sleep and night -
Men seek for them whose eyes have lost the light.
Open the door, the door which hath no key,
The door of dreams, whereby men come to thee.
O Mighty Stag, O answer to me!”

III. The Proclamation

“Gentle goddess powerful god: I am your child, now and always. Your breath is my life. Your voice Great Mother and yours Great Father speak within me, as they do in all creatures, if we but only listen. Therefore here in your presence and before the Mighty Ones do I open my self to your blessing.”

Lift up the cup of wine and say:

Bless this wine with your essence Great Lady, Great Lord that by partaking of it I may also take part of you. Make a toasting gesture and drink. After consuming the wine lift up the cup and say:

“Flax Flags Fodder and Frig” (this is an old blessing )

Sit for a while in silent contemplation. Listen. You will hear the Gods within you. Speak with them and tell them why you wish to follow them. Afterwards put out the candles and thank the Lord and Lady for hearing you. Then Say So Mote it Be.

NOTE* Listen to your inner thoughts, feelings and dreams at all times while using this simple rite. The Lord and Lady will speak in many ways.

Do not underestimate the importance of this rite. It will prepare you for all further work.

Finis

Karnayna Lilly

karnayna@greenman.zzn.com

Green Man Wicca