The Scofield Bible Commentary, by Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, , at sacred-texts.com
Book Introduction - John
Writer: The fourth Gospel was written by the Apostle John Joh 21:24. This has been questioned on critical grounds, but on the same grounds and with equal scholarship, the early date and Johanean authorship have been maintained.
Date: The date of John's Gospel falls between A.D. 85 and 90. Probably the latter.
Theme: This is indicated both in the Prologue (Joh 1:1-14), and in the last verse of the Gospel proper (Joh 20:31), and is: The incarnation of the eternal Word, and Son of life; (2) that as many as believe on Him as "the Christ, the Son of God" (Joh 20:31) may have eternal life. The prominent words are, "believed" and "life."
The book is in seven natural divisions:
1. Prologue: The eternal Word incarnate in Jesus the Christ (John 1:1-14).
2. The witness of John the Baptist (John 1:15-34).
3. The public ministry of Christ (John 1:35 - 12:50).
4. The private ministry of Christ to His own (John 13:1 - 17:26).
5. The sacrifice of Christ (John 18:1 - 19:42).
6. The manifestation of Christ in resurrection (John 20:1-31).
7. Epilogue: Christ the Master of life and service (John 21:1-25).
The events recorded in this book cover a period of 7 years.