The Scofield Bible Commentary, by Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, , at sacred-texts.com
Jacob's life, ending in serenity and blessing, testifies to the power of God to transform character. His spiritual progress has six notable phases:
(1) the first exercise of faith, as shown in the purchase of the birthright (Gen 25:28-34); (Gen 27:10-22).
(2) the vision at bethel (Gen 28:10-19).
(3) walking in the flesh (Gen 29:1-31); (Gen 29:55).
(4) the transforming experience (Gen 32:24-31).
(5) the return to Bethel: idols put away (Gen 35:1-7).
(6) the walk of faith (Gen 37:1-49); (Gen 37:33).