The Scofield Bible Commentary, by Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, , at sacred-texts.com
(See Scofield) - (Gen 12:10).
Go not down
(See Scofield) - (Gen 46:3).
name of the well
The wells of Genesis have significant names, and are associated with significant events:
(1) Beer-lahai-roi, the well of him that liveth and seeth me (Gen 16:14); (Gen 24:62); (Gen 25:11).
(2) Beer-sheba, the well of the oath or covenant (Gen 21:15-33); (Gen 22:19); (Gen 26:23-25); (Gen 46:1-5).
(3) Esek, contention (Gen 26:20).
(4) Sitnah, hatred (Gen 26:21). Esek and Sitnah were Isaac's own attempts at well-digging. Afterward, he dwelt by the old wells of his father.
(5) Rehoboth, enlargement (Gen 26:22).