The Geneva Bible Translation Notes, , at sacred-texts.com
2 Timothy 3:1
ti2 3:1This (1) know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
(1) The seventh admonition: we may not hope for a Church in this world without corruption: but there will be rather great abundance of most wicked men even in the very bosom of the Church, who will nonetheless make a show and countenance of great holiness, and charity.
2 Timothy 3:2
ti2 3:2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, (a) unholy,
(a) Who make no account, either of right or honesty.
2 Timothy 3:5
ti2 3:5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: (2) from such turn away.
(2) We must not tarry with those men who resist the truth not from simple ignorance, but from a perverse mind, (which thing appears by their fruits which he graphically displays here); rather, we must turn away from them.
2 Timothy 3:9
ti2 3:9(3) But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all [men], as theirs also was.
(3) He adds a comfort: the Lord will at length take off all their masks.
2 Timothy 3:10
ti2 3:10(4) But thou hast (b) fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
(4) So that we are not deceived by such hypocrites, we must set before us the virtues of the holy servants of God, and we must not be afraid of persecution which they suffered willingly, and which always follows true godliness. But we must especially hold fast the doctrine of the apostles, the sum of which is this, that we are saved through faith in Christ Jesus.
(b) You thoroughly know not only what I taught and did, but also how I thought and was inclined.
2 Timothy 3:11
ti2 3:11Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at (c) Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of [them] all the Lord delivered me.
(c) Which is in Pisidia.
2 Timothy 3:13
ti2 3:13But evil men and seducers shall wax (d) worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
(d) Their wickedness will daily increase.
2 Timothy 3:16
ti2 3:16(5) All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(5) The eighth admonition which is most precious: a pastor must be wise by the word of God alone: in which we have perfectly delivered to us, whatever pertains to discerning, knowing and establishing true opinions, and to prove which opinions are false: and furthermore, to correct evil manners, and to establish good.
2 Timothy 3:17
ti2 3:17That the (e) man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
(e) The Prophets and expounders of God's will are properly and distinctly called, men of God.