The Geneva Bible Translation Notes, , at sacred-texts.com
luk 3:1Now (1) in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene,
(1) John comes at the time foretold by the prophets and lays the foundation of the gospel which is exhibited unto us, setting forth the true observing of the law and free mercy in Christ, which comes after John, using also baptism which is the outward sign both of regeneration and also forgiveness of sins.
luk 3:2(a) Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.
(a) Josephus calls him Ananus.
luk 3:13And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is (b) appointed you.
(b) Require no more than that sum that is appointed for the tribute money.
luk 3:14And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse [any] falsely; and be content with your (c) wages.
(c) Which was paid to them partly in money and partly in food.
luk 3:15(2) And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their hearts of John, whether he were the Christ, or not;
(2) If we would rightly and fruitfully receive the sacraments, we must neither rest in the signs, neither in him that ministers the signs, but lift up our eyes to Christ, who is the author of the sacraments, and the giver of that which is represented by the sacraments.
luk 3:17(3) Whose fan [is] in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
(3) The gospel is the fan of the world.
luk 3:19(4) But Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias his brother Philip's wife, and for all the evils which Herod had done,
(4) John's preaching is confirmed with his death.
luk 3:21(5) Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
(5) Our baptism is sanctified in the head of the Church, and Christ also by the voice of the Father is pronounced to be our everlasting King, Priest, and Prophet.
luk 3:23(6) And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was [the son] of Heli,
(6) Christ's lineage, according to the flesh, is traced back even to Adam, and so to God, that it might appear that it was only he whom God promised to Abraham and David, and appointed from everlasting to his Church, which is composed of all sorts of men.