VIII. But Abram went forth thence and dwell in the land of Chanaan, and took with him Loth his
brothers son, and Sarai his wife. And because Sarai was barren and had no offspring, then Abram
took Agar her maid, and she bare him Ismahel. And Ismahel begat 12 sons.
2. 1 Then Loth departed from Abram and dwelt in Sodom [but Abram dwelt in the land of Cam]. And the men of Sodom were very evil and sinners exceedingly.
3. And God appeared unto Abraham saying: Unto thy seed will I give this land; and thy
name shall be called Abraham, and Sarai thy wife shall be called Sara. Ana I will give thee of her an eternal seed and make my covenant with
thee. And Abraham knew Sara his wife, and she conceived and bare Isaac.
4. And Isaac took him a wife of Mesopotamia,
the daughter of Bathuel, which conceived and bare him Esau and Jacob. 5. And Esau took to him
for wives Judin the daughter of Bereu, and Basemath the daughter of Elon, and Elibema the daughter of Anan, and Manem the daughter of Samahel.
And <<Basemath>> bare him Adelifan, and the sons
of Adelifan were Temar, Omar, Seffor, Getan, Tenaz,
Amalec. And Judin bare Tenacis, Ieruebemas,
Bassemen, Rugil: and the sons of Rugil were Naizar,
Samaza; and Elibema bare Auz, Iollam, Coro.
Manem bare Tenetde, Thenatela.
6. And Jacob took to him for wives the daughters Gen. of Laban the Syrian, Lia and Rachel, and two concubines, Bala and Zelpha. And Lia bare him Ruben, Simeon, Levi, Juda, Isachar, Zabulon, and Dina their sister.
But Rachel bare Joseph and Benjamin.
Bala bare Dan and Neptalim, and Zelpha bare Gad and Aser.
These are the 12 sons of Jacob and one daughter.
7. And Jacob dwelt in the land of Chanaan, and Sichem the son of Emor the Correan forced his daughter Dina and humbled her. And Simeon and Levi the sons of Jacob went in and slew all their city with the edge of the sword, and took Dina their sister, and went out thence. 8. 1 And thereafter Job took her to wife and begat of her 14 sons and 6 daughters, even 7 sons and 3 daughters before he was smitten with affliction, and thereafter when he was made whole 7 sons and 3 daughters. And these are their names: Eliphac, Erinoe, Diasat, Philias, Diffar, Zellud, Thelon: and his daughters
[paragraph continues] Meru, Litaz, Zeli. And such as had been the names of the former, so were they also of the latter.
9. Now Jacob and his 12 sons dwelt in the land of Chanaan: and his sons hated their brother Joseph, whom also they delivered into Egypt, to Petephres the chief of the cooks of Pharao, and he abode with him 14 years.
10. And it came to pass after that the king of Egypt had seen a dream, that they told him of Joseph, and he declared him the dreams. And it was so after he declared his dreams, that Pharao made him prince over all the land of Egypt. At that time there was a famine in all the land, as
Joseph had foreseen. And his brethren came down into Egypt to buy food, because in Egypt only was there food. And Joseph knew his brethren, and was made known to them, and dealt not evilly with them. And he sent and called his father out of the land of Chanaan, and he came down unto him.
11. 1 And these are the names of the sons of Israel which came down into Egypt with Jacob, each one
with his house. The sons of Reuben, Enoch and Phallud, Esrom and Carmin; the sons of Simeon, Namuhel and Iamin and Dot and Iachin, and Saul the son of a Canaanitish woman.
The sons of Levi, Gerson, Caat and Merari: but the sons of Juda, Auna, Selon, Phares, Zerami.
The sons of Isachar, Tola and Phua, Job and Sombram. The sons of Zabulon, Sarelon and Iaillil. And Dina their sister bare 14 sons and 6 daughters.
And these are the generations of Lia whom she bare to Jacob. All the souls of sons and daughters were 72.
12. Now the sons of Dan were Usinam. 1 The sons of Neptalim, Betaal, Neemmu, Surem, Optisariel.
And these are the generations of Balla which she
bare to Jacob. All the souls were 8.
13. But the sons of Gad: . . . Sariel, Sua, Visui,
Mophat and Sar: 2 their sister the daughter of Seriebel, Melchiel. These are the generations of Zelpha the wife of Jacob which she bare to him. And all the souls of sons and daughters were in number 10.
14. And the sons of Joseph, Ephraim and Manassen:
and Benjamin begat Gela, Esbel, Abocmephec, Utundeus. And these were the souls which Rachel bare to Jacob, 14.
And they went down into Egypt and abode there 210 years.
96:1 VIII. 2. [But Abram dwelt in the land of Cam] obviously intrusive, repeated from ver. 1, Cam being for Canaan.
97:1 8. That Job married Dinah after his affliction is told in the Testament of Job and the Targum on Job. etc. Note that Philo disregards the Biblical names of Job's daughters, though he accepts the Bible story of Job.
98:1 11 seq. On the names here see Appendix on Readings.
99:1 Read: Usin. But the sons of N.
99:2 Read: But the sons of Gad (gap, to Sariel: and the sons of Aser). . . . Mophat, and Sara their sister: and the sons of Beria, Heber, Melchiel.
Next: Chapter IX