said to be found in the Valley of Ebron, after the Flood.
1. I speak not fiction, but what is certain and most true.
2. What is below is like that which is above, and what is above is like that which is below for performing the miracle of one thing.
3. And as all things were produced from One by the Mediation of One, so all things are produced from this One thing by adaptation.
4. Its father is the Sun, its mother was the Moon, the wind carried it in its belly, its nurse is the Earth.
5. It is the cause of all perfection throughout the whole world.
6. Its power is perfect if it be changed into the earth.
7. Separate the earth from the fire, the subtle from the gross, gently and with judgment.
8. It ascends from earth to heaven, and descends again to earth, thus you will possess the glory of the whole World and all obscurity will fly away.
9. This thing is the fortitude of all fortitude, because it overcomes all subtle things, and penetrates every solid thing.
10. Thus were all things created.
11. Thence proceed wonderful adaptations which are produced in this way.
12. Therefore am I called Hermes Trismegistus, possessing the three parts of the philosophy of the whole World.
13. What I had to say concerning the operation of the Sun is complete.